Caterers participating in the School Feeding Programme have confirmed that they have received payments for all their outstanding arrears, except for those pertaining to the second term of 2023.
The disclosure came from Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta during the Mid-Year Budget Review in Parliament on July 31, where he announced that the government had settled all arrears owed to caterers under the programme.
He stated, “We have also settled all arrears owed to caterers under the programme for the second and third terms of the 2022 academic year; and the first term of 2023.”
In an interview with Umaru Sanda Amadu on Eyewitness News, Madam Charlotte Asante, the President of the National Association of School Feeding Caterers Association, confirmed that they had indeed received all their payments, with the exception of the second term of 2023.
She expressed optimism that the 2023 arrears for the second term would be disbursed this week, noting that the payments had been consistent.
Madam Charlotte Asante said, “When it comes to our financial challenges, I think that we still have some few outstanding, which I know payments should have been made last week. I don't know what happened, maybe this week they will start paying the 2023 2nd term arrears and other outstanding slides for 2019.”
While appreciating the government's effort to settle most of the outstanding arrears, she clarified, “What the minister said about our outstanding being paid, what I know is that we had a few meetings and the outcome was that they will be paying 3rd term 2022 and 1st term 2023. That one has been done, but the 2023 2nd term is yet to be paid. I'm telling you that maybe this week, payments will be made. When we receive the money this week, we will let the media know. Payments have been consistent for the first time in the history of School Feeding, and we are hoping it continues.”