Government’s National Rental Assistance Scheme benefits over 1,100 Ghanaian workers

1 min read
Minister for Works and Housing, Mr Francis Asenso-Boakye
Minister for Works and Housing, Mr Francis Asenso-Boakye

The Minister for , Mr Francis Asenso-Boakye, has disclosed that the government's (NRAS) has provided support to more than 1,100 Ghanaian workers from six regions, helping them cover their rent advances.

The scheme aims to address the high demand for affordable rental housing.

Mr Asenso-Boakye, responding to questions in , revealed that an impressive GH¢13,785,597 has been disbursed to beneficiaries in the Greater , Eastern, Western, Ashanti, Northern, and regions.

The NRAS, launched in January 2023, targets both formal and informal individuals with regular incomes, alleviating the burden of hefty rent advance payments to homeowners.

The minister explained, “The scheme removes the burden of huge rent advance payment to homeowners, whereas the programme beneficiaries pay the monthly rent to the scheme.”

He further elaborated that the Ministry of formed a dedicated team to design and implement the NRAS, engaged in extensive stakeholder consultations, and conducted public awareness campaigns.

Mr Asenso-Boakye clarified that while the NRAS lacks legal backing, it operates as a government policy that is actively being put into action.

During the parliamentary session, Mr Alhassan Suhuyini, an MP for North, inquired about any amendments or payments made to Construction OAS Ghana Limited for the Saglemi Housing Project since 2016.

In response, Mr. Asenso-Boakye mentioned an ongoing legal investigation related to the case.

In light of this, he requested a deferral in addressing the question, as responding might potentially influence the court's outcome. He assured the House that once a verdict is reached, he will provide a detailed response.

The Minister highlighted that his legal advisors recommended refraining from commenting on the matter until the court reaches a determination, stating, “They advise that I should wait for the determination of the matter by a competent court so that after I can give details.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from General