Three Ashaiman residents in court for assaulting Angel FM journalist

Three Ashaiman residents in court for assaulting Angel FM journalist

Three residents of Lebanon Zone Two have appeared before the Ashaiman District Court on charges of assaulting Mr Augustine Nyalali Ahiagbor, a journalist with Angel FM/TV.

The accused individuals are 24-year-old Abass Mohammed, a national service person, Seth Kwame Baidoo, a 39-year-old civil engineer, and Samuel Yaw Baidoo, a 70-year-old pensioner.

They pleaded not guilty to charges of assault and causing unlawful conduct, as outlined in the Criminal Offences Act, 1960 (Act 29), specifically Section 54 and Section 152.

Presided over by Mr Derick Parden Eshun, the court granted bail to each accused person in the amount of GH₵10,000, with one surety required for each individual.

The court referred the case for Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and adjourned the proceedings to August 10, 2023.

According to the prosecution, the incident occurred on May 25, 2023, at approximately 06:10 hours when a toilet facility at Mohammed's father's house collapsed, trapping one tenant in Ashaiman Lebanon Zone Two.

The journalist, Mr Ahiagbor, received information about the incident and went to the scene along with another journalist.

Upon arrival, the victim had already been rescued by residents who were preparing to take him to the hospital for medical care. Mr Ahiagbor began documenting the collapsed structure by capturing videos and taking pictures.

It was during this process that Samuel Yaw Baidoo approached him, grabbed his shirt, and demanded the deletion of the video, assaulting him in the process.

This attracted approximately 10 other residents who joined in, insisting that the journalist delete the videos and pictures while subjecting him to further assault. In the struggle over his mobile phone, the accused individuals damaged it and tore his shirt and singlet.

The prosecution revealed that the Assembly member for the area, who was present as a witness, intervened and took the phone from Mr Ahiagbor.

They attempted to visit Yaw Baidoo and Kwame Baidoo's house to delete the videos and pictures, but due to the phone's damage, they were unable to do so.

Subsequently, the journalist lodged a complaint at the Lebanon Police Station, where a medical form was issued to him.

The accused individuals were subsequently arrested, investigated, and brought before the court for arraignment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.