The country in recent times has landed itself in an economic downturn.
Generally, there is a high cost of living.
The government is currently seeking a bailout from the International Monetary Fund.
Meanwhile, to sustain the country's debts, government introduced a debt exchange programme, which has been widely rejected.
Why Ghana is in economic mess
Find the 7 reasons below:
- The NPP has the largest size of government in the history of Ghana! Find out how many ministers they've appointed from 2017. At one point, they had over 125 ministers!
- This government has over 1,000 presidential staffers paid as article 71 officeholders at the Jubilee House!
- They've also appointed so many special assistants to ministers with emoluments close to that of deputy ministers at the various MDAs.
Take also into consideration:
- The number of spokespersons at various MDAs paid above the pay of Directors!
- The number of CEOs at various State-owned Enterprises (SOEs) and their pay packages! Many of these SOEs now employ 3 or 4 deputy CEOs with fat conditions of service!
- The impact of the over 50 new agencies with zero output, eg. CODA, NADA, MBDA, free SHS secretariat, 1D1F secretariat, Petroleum Hub Development Authority, Ghana Cares Secretariat, etc
- The unconscionable decision to send over 100 Databank staff to the Finance Ministry as special assistants and paid as customs commissioners on GRA's payroll!