Three acquitted in GH¢100,000 theft case at Odorkor warehouse

1 min read
Three acquitted in GH¢100,000 theft case at Odorkor warehouse

Three individuals accused of stealing metals worth GH¢100,000 from a warehouse in Odorkor, , have been acquitted and discharged by the Dansoman Circuit Court. The defendants, Desmond Nartey, 18, Seth Kwakye Boafo, 21, and Sule Musah, 55, were freed following a submission of no case filed by their counsels, Mr. Lord Delvin Essandoh and Cynthia Ademadjiku.

After the prosecution concluded its case by calling witnesses, Mr. Essandoh argued that the police failed to establish a link between the accused persons and the alleged offences. He asserted that the prosecution did not provide sufficient evidence to prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt, and thus, the court should dismiss the case.

Presiding over the matter, Judge Halimah El Alawa Abdul Bassit upheld the submission of no case, noting the lack of connection between the accused and the charges brought against them. The court ruled that the evidence presented by the prosecution was unreliable and lost credibility under cross-examination by the defence.

However, the court ordered Ebenezer Assan, the first accused person, to open his defence as a case had been established against him. Assan, Nartey, and Boafo faced charges of conspiracy to commit a crime and stealing, while Musah was charged with dishonestly receiving stolen goods.

The prosecution, led by Chief Inspector Wonder Adele, outlined that the complainant, Awurama Asanewaa, operated a business and owned materials stored in a warehouse at Odorkor. Assan, Nartey, and Boafo were reportedly employees at the warehouse. It was alleged that the defendants, with Assan as the warehouse manager, stole metals valued at GHC100,000.

Upon detecting the theft through CCTV footage, Asanewaa reported the matter to the Odorkor Police, resulting in the arrest of Assan, Nartey, and Boafo. During investigations, the defendants admitted to the theft and implicated Musah as the recipient of the stolen goods.

Musah, a scrap dealer, was subsequently arrested and claimed that Assan had sold him the stolen metals, implicating Asanewaa as the source. However, the court's decision to acquit the accused was based on the prosecution's failure to substantiate the charges against them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Crime