In a recent development, Ghanaian oil company Cybele Energy Limited was among six firms awarded oil blocks in Guyana. The South American country, seeking to enhance its oil production, had opened bids for 14 offshore oil blocks for exploration and development back in December 2022.
Guyana's Vice President, Dr Bharrat Jagdeo, announced the awards, highlighting the names of the companies and groups that secured the blocks. Cybele Energy Limited, under the leadership of its CEO, Beatrice Mensah-Tayui, successfully secured a block.
The awarded blocks were as follows:
- S3: Sispro Inc., headed by four Guyanese businesswomen
- S4: Total Energies EP Guyana BV; Qatar Energy International E&P LLC; Petronas E&P Overseas Ventures SDN BHD (Malaysia)
- S5: International Group Investment Inc., a Nigerian group
- S7: Liberty Petroleum Corporation of the US and Ghana-based Cybele Energy Limited
- S8: ExxonMobil, Hess, and CNOOC consortium currently operating in the Stabroek Block offshore
- S10: International Group Investment Inc.
- D1: Delcorp Inc Guyana and Watad Energy and Arabian Drillers of Saudi Arabia, two Saudi Arabian companies that are incorporated
- D2: Sispro Inc.